Sunday, July 7, 2013

Review: 1966 And All That


1966 And All That
1966 And All That by Craig Brown

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



'1966 And All That' is a homage to the 1930 classic 1066 and All That, which ends with history coming to a full stop in 1918 with America as Top Nation. Brown takes it through the next nine decades with the same sort of absurdist humour, mixing characters (e.g. King George and his son Lloyd) and garbling events in a work of semi-surrealist nonsense.

I can't exactly say why, but I didn't enjoy it as much as the earlier work or as much as I enjoyed the radio version that was broadcast on Radio 4. It's the sort of humour that needs to be taken in small doses, and the nonsensical word-play seems to work better on radio than on the page.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment